- I haven't posted a recipe in a while, so I thought I'd share this festive, chilled asparagus dish with you. And this is very tasty, if I do say so myself! My stepmom loved it SO much that she even asked me for the recipe! I kinda lied and told her I got it from one of the food channels on TV since she is big on actual legit recipes - (fyi, I don't generally use or follow recipes, but I love inventing them).
- Anyway, just ask my poor stepsister why I'd lie... She got reemed this year at our family Christmas for using precut Simply Potatoes in her (delicious) potato casserole - Haha! Well since I've written it down, it's now an actual legit recipe. I hope you enjoy & Merry Christmas!!
DECK THE BOWL ASPARAGUS SALAD
- Big ol' bowl of ice water
- Big ol' pot of boiling water
- Salt to taste
- 4 bunches of green asparagus - washed & ends trimmed
- 1 can of sweet corn - drained
- 2 firm-ish avocados - cubed
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes - halved
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of sugar (white or brown, your preference)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of creamy Dijon mustard
- Juice of 2 lemons (OR 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon of raw local honey
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add salt to taste - (you want it to taste a lil' oceany).
- While you're waiting for the pot to boil, make an ice bath for the asparagus by filling a large bowl with cold water & ice cubes.
- Before cooking place the asparagus into the ice bath.
- Remove the asparagus from the ice bath and put them into the boiling water until just bright green (approx. 1-2 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them from the boiling water and immediately put them back into the ice bath.
- Let them sit in the ice bath for a few minutes to make sure they stop cooking.
- Remove the asparagus from the ice bath and place them on a paper towel lined dish and allow them to dry COMPLETELY!! You can expedite this by patting them down with a paper towel and putting them, uncovered, in the refrigerator for a bit.
- While the asparagus is drying, mix together the dressing ingredients, making sure to integrate everything well.
- Once the asparagus is completely dry, cut the stalks into thirds.
- Toss the asparagus and remaining vegetables with the dressing in a large bowl, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, and up to 24 hours.
- Serve chilled - Eat & ENJOY! :)
Recipe & Pic by: Me